Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Doubtful

I was just reading in Genesis 20 and it got me thinking. I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff to be learned from this chapter and maybe I went for the most obvious but it's also what's been on my mind lately. This is the chapter where Abraham and Sarah are traveling and they tell King Abimelech that they are brother and sister. This is, of course, partially true at least, they are half sibling but they're also married (they just left that little detail out).
God came to the king in a dream that night (funny, I was just wishing today that I wish He'd do that for me!!) because he had taken Sarah to be one of his wives. He didn't sleep with her that night and God told him it was because He was keeping Abimelech from sinning since his heart was truly innocent. Then God let Abimelech know what the punishment would be, now that he does know she's someone's wife, if he didn't give Sarah back. Not only did Abimelech give Sarah back to Abraham but he also gave him money, animals, and servants!
My first thought when I read this was "Whoa! Abraham lies, SINS, and this dude is giving him things because he's a prophet? A prophet of God that just LIED?" I kept reading though and remembered why he had lied. He was scared for his life. It was God that told him to leave his home, and he had enough faith to do that, but not enough to trust that God will take care of him?
I've been going through the same thing lately. I've been getting homesick, and worrying about financial issues, and getting good grades and yet I came here because I thought it was what God had planned for me. I was exacted when everything was falling into place perfectly but things start getting rather rough and I get scared, and not only scared but doubtful. I've been dealing with a lot of other issues too and have just recently begun to realize I can't handle it on my own. When Abraham doubted God, and sinned it affected himself, his wife, the person he lied to, and the entire kingdom, and didn't make God look too good either. I'm not a prophet but isn't it likely that my lack of faith is affecting at least one other person than myself? Who else am I causing to stumble because of my fear when I should have enough faith and sense to know that God is in control? That He wouldn't have brought me this far just to leave me by myself? Just something to think about....

Love,
Tabie

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! A Tabie-blog!

    Aye, I know what you mean. We had a similar problem after moving to Australia two years ago. We knew we were supposed to come here, but then the next eight months in particular were very hard. My family gave up a good, secure, steady income, a large house, a huge family, and an even huger network of friends to come here, and when we got here, we had nothing. We lived in a caravan for eight months, living in various friends' back yards. Dad had no job for most of that time, and when he DID find a job, it was a menial job with terrible pay and bad working conditions, a long way from his old job as second in charge of his unit. But G-d got us through. He'll get you through too, beautiful.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said! A beautiful first blog from my beautiful little sister...

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete